Monday, May 25, 2009

Who smoketh whom?

About 3 weeks ago, I ran my first 5K. Before that date, I could barely spell the word 5K and since then, I've ran two more. Let us take a moment to reflect upon my athletic delays progress.

Three weeks ago, I ran kind of ran but also power walked like it was time for happy hour my first 5K in 49 minutes. I know, I know. I'm fast. It may surprise you to know that I didn't even train for the event. That's right. I'm just a joke gifted in the running arena.

My children were so impressed they decided to become runners, too. And they wanted to sign up to run 5Ks with me so they could kick my ass I wouldn't have to run them alone. This involved buying new running shoes for them because I don't think it is advisable for them to run in their high top Converses. For this, I should at least be nominated for Mother of the Year.

The next 5K came 2 weeks after the first one and I ran ran/walked it in 39 minutes. I could have finished near the front but I graciously stepped out of the way before I almost passed out let the others pass me and get to the finish line first. They should hand out awards for people who are this nice.

My children breezed by me and finished 9 and 5 minutes ahead of me. And like their mother, the only preparation for their first 5K was showing up.

They were all gloat-y and full of pride at how they had smoked me out on the road. I reminded them of who has the money in the trio of the 20 something year age difference in our ages.

At the award presentation at the end of the race, guess who got an award? Yep! The 74 year old dude who beat me three weeks ago. And ME!

Holy schnike! I came in second in my age range!

Clearly, more older women need to take up running. I don't think I'd be that hard to beat.

24 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You are awesome! I've had this weird desire to do a 5K recently, and I NEVER would have said this, even 6 months ago. I will probably have a heart attack.

Jan said...

Do they have a division for limping and swearing and coming in after about, oh, an hour and a half?

I'd kick ass. I would.

Congratulations on your award. I'm in awe of all your mad 5K skillz.

Candice said...

Way to go!!! Keep up the great work.

Jaime said...

good for you! when i run my first 5k, i'll bet you'll beat my time! :)

Fragrant Liar said...

So there were two people in your category? Heh, heh. Oh, wait. You and the 74-year-old are in the same age range? Let me guess. It's the 50+ everyone-on-the-verge-of-kicking age group, right? Sheesh.

Well, congrats. You do sound like you're making progress. I mean, if you're winning trophies and all.

cheatymoon said...

Congratulations, Beth! That is so cool!

Kulio said...

NOT OLD! Nice job on getting the kids into the act. Keep it up!

Jason, as himself said...

I admire you for doing this. I'm too big of a wuss.

anymommy said...

That's awesome, I love that they are doing it with you now. Keep it up - you rock, I mean come on, an award? You own the 5k!

Reinvent Dad said...

Way to go. So awesome that you're getting your family involved as well.

Sunny said...

Cool! You're a hell of a runner :)

Beth said...

Kristina - You should try one! They are motivating to me (for some reason).

lakeviewer - Yesterday, I ran and then I went home and ate five meals. I'm really hungry all the time!

Jan - They do have that category! Come join me!

Candice - You are being so nice. Is it wrong of me to feel paranoid?

Jaime - Probably not. I should've trained (and now I am). But somebody had to bring up the rear.

Fragrant - Actually, the 74 year old won in the 70 - 79 age group. I came in second in the 40 - 49 age group. Thankfully there are many, many groups.

Erin - Thanks!!

Kulio - The kids make it fun. It was the best mother's day gift they could have given me.

Jason - You could do it! I have faith in you!

anymommy - Now the boys are all determined to win a medal, too. They have much more competition than I do. But I have no doubt they'll get there.

Reinvent Dad - I was pretty amazed when the guys said they'd run, too. Now if only I could convince my husband (although he'd likely run circles around me).

Sunny - Actually, I'm still in the "OMG Get That Girl A Cup Of Water Before She Passes Out" Phase. I aim to be a hell of a runner! :)

darsden said...

That is awesome Beth...I see you beating them in the future..You just wanted them to get hooked and watch their style. You will blow by them next time.
After reading I had to stop and LOL that was funny. More women needing to run..honey I would get 2 black eyes if I tried to run!

Unknown said...

Wow, you've really gotten into this running stuff; good on ya!!

Optimistic Pessimist said...

Congrats that's awesome! Wish I had your running talent. If I skip one week of running I can barely crawl two miles. As soon as I don't use it I lose it. You should try a little distance running!

Pseudo said...

I have NEVER been good at runnning. I am so impressed with your skills and natural talent. Awesome Beth.

Mara said...

I run a half mile before falling to the ground choking and wheezing and I'm in my mid-20s! You are one bad-ass lady!

followthatdog said...

I keep thinking about taking up running, but that would require some kind of effort. right now I'm barely managing a pilates video in the morning. I'm weak.

Anonymous said...

Holy Schnickerdoodle! I think we should form a group here! bloggers who kick ass after 40!! :) he he...way to go girl! way to go!

on another note- i applied for a teaching job at my daughter's school- doubt i will get it because i know the part i lost them...when i said 'outside the box'...oh well. worth a shot.

Deb said...

you are hilarious. and kicking some major booty! you need to take that old guy DOWN next time!

i have WALKED a few 5k's, but never attempted a faster pace. sounds dangerous.

Hit 40 said...

For heavens sake ... I will run if no one else is!!! How much do you need to cut on time to beat this other women??

I am intrigued. I did not know that I could walk some of it. I could definitely do that and jog a little of it.

I wish you lived in Ohio!! I would so crush your kids with my 40 year old butt for you!!

Michel said...

Oh my goodness! You're getting awards AND you're clearly a saint!

I am suitably impressed. Who am i kidding, i'm impressed with anyone who volunatarily exercises for any reason other than being forced to do so.

Everyday Goddess said...

Way to go sista! I am so impressed!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

I'm so impressed that you can do this. I would need the 48 year old with 92 year old knee division. Do they have that?