Sunday, May 3, 2009

No longer a virgin

That's right! I'm no longer a 5K virgin. Yesterday, I ran/walked my first 5K I probably walked more than ran but I didn't have to crawl (although it was considered)! There were a few moments where I thought the golf cart following the crowd was going to have to push me along - but I made it which doesn't say a lot for the 20 or so folks behind me who quit or cheated by turning around at an unmanned point in the race! And now I see the addiction but for the record, this addiction is legal. I'm already signing up for the next local 5K being held two weeks from now.

When my school's PTO decided to host our first 5K, I knew I had to participate because it just wouldn't look good if I didn't (besides, I couldn't let my assistant principal show me up). While working at the registration table, I signed up a 74 year old man who was so excited to be running his 827th race. I made him repeat the number because I thought my ears deceived me. EIGHT HUNDRED TWENTY-SEVEN! Holy running shoes! He told me he started running when he was 35 and became addicted.

I hope that I become addicted, too. The dude looked like he was in his fifties and he totally smoked my ass on this run by leaving me in a cloud of dust (which could have been from the dirt road - but he still beat me. Bad.). And because I want to live forever to a ripe old age, I'm going to forge on and take my health more seriously which really means run more so I can eat more desserts.

Running is something I love and I really need to get in training mode. Since I broke my knee when I was ten (seriously, I ripped that knee cap to the back side of my knee - gross), I have to be careful. Sometimes my knee creaks and moans and complains which is my sign to slow it down. Other times, I favor the other leg causing her to flare up a nasty attitude. Regardless, there is something about my feet pounding the pavement, the sun in my face, the sweat running down my back that calms me. Running is the activity I crave when I've tried to do yoga because Braja hasn't taught me the proper form and I have a difficult time calming myself down by being still.

After my big run, I looked in the mirror and I swear my ass looked a little smaller but that may have had something to do with the ass chewing I got on Friday morning. Apparently, the folks in Emerald City (the School Board Office) didn't like when I emailed them that I was sick of them saying 'we should always ask what is in the best interest of the students' when they clearly don't always answer that question. That should be all the incentive I need. Well, and I plan to beat that 74 year old dude one day.


*****************************************************



Have you heard of Jan? She is one funny, talented, neat lady who COOKS and SHARES HER RECIPES! She bestowed an award on me and I'm trying to do my duty to pass it on. There are many, many blogs out there worthy of this award.

A Sushi Grade Blog is a cut above other blogs that are canned and turned into salad or casseroles. A Sushi Grade Blog is fresh, lively and of superior quality. It is rare, has character and is of good taste.

Oh, and it’s packed full of heart healthy Omega 3 oils which is a LOT better than taking those nasty fish oil supplements that make you burp up a fishy smell all day.

And since it seems there must be rules for awards, here they are:
1. Grab this nifty little graphic and display it proudly on your site
2. Choose 5 blogs of superior quality and list them, along with why the are A Sushi Grade Blog
3. Link to them, announcing their award
4. Leave them a comment letting them know they've been given an award
5. Link back to the blog that awarded you

So (drum roll, please), here are my choices

* Michel from Facts are Strictly Optional - Michel makes me laugh every day! And she volunteered to hide me in Sudan, if I ever needed but I'm not sure I want to hide where they have no sidewalks because that will totally mess up my shoes.

* Jane from Gaston Studios - Jane is funny, cool, and my new adoptive mother! Seriously, doesn't everyone want a mother who gets suspicious packages of *oregano*? Besides, she makes fantastic jewelry, too!

* Kulio from Ottava Battuta - Kulio is a *real* writer. She can say so much with so few words a gift that was not handed down to me. Plus, she has that dry sense of humor that I LOVE! And ottava battuta means something to musicians because I googled the term and that shit is over my head.

* Erin from Only a Movie - Erin is a teacher of students with special needs. Only her students have more special needs than most students who have special needs. And she is a single mother who honestly describes her feelings about the events in her world. If I could convince her, I'd totally talk her into moving to Podunk, Georgia so she could teach at my school.

* Em at Life, Liberty and the Pursuit... - Em is one of those ultra sarcastic people that I LOVE! She has a knack for seeing the zany in the mundane. Plus, she likes boxed wine.

So there! I even followed the rules for once. Have a great Sunday, y'all!

41 comments:

Courtney said...

Congrats on the 5K! That is awesome. I would like to introduce you to my friend... www.runnersworld.com. This is such a great resource for keeping that knee in good health.
Also, if you have not read it yet, you should read Murakami's book, What I Talk about, When I Talk About Running. It's not a book on how to run, but more of this is where my life was at while I was running.

Beth said...

Hey Courtney (world's BEST neice!) - I will order that book. And I think you suggested that website before but I was probably being stubborn....

Oh. Bad news. I'm not going to NY now. Just too much going on at the end of the year. Husband and I want to plan a trip this fall. Sigh.

Hit 40 said...

Michel was a good pick. She is very secretive about what she does... I think she tortures people. Probably does the water board thing.

Great work on the 5k!! GO GIRL!!!

Unknown said...

What a great acheivement! I wouldn't last but a 1/2 mile. I can see how it would become addicting though! I like how I feel just after walking for a mile or so. You will reach your 827th race too! I have faith in you ;)
Congrats on the sushi award too.. mmmmmmmmm sushi

Call Me Cate said...

Congrats on your first 5k! I've "run" a couple and should really get back into it. My husband is working up to his first marathon and totally puts me to shame. Good luck on the next!

cheatymoon said...

Oh Beth. Thank you so much. You have made my day. We've had a rough weekend and I need the pick me up.

Also? The 5k. You are awesome!! I've been trying to do the Couch to 5K training, and I suck. My body hurts too much. I can walk/hike for days. Running just doesn't agree with me. I was a track girl in high school too, so I get the feeling you describe in running. I want my middle aged body to appreciate that!

Thanks again :-).

Michele said...

I admire you for finishing the race. I would have been one of the 20+ who ducked out when no one was looking. I have rule about running: "Only run when chased".

Thanks for visiting the blog. I'll be back here to.

Lori said...

Congrats on finishing the race! You should be proud of yourself. And what an amazing inspiration in that 74 year old man, running that many races. Wow!!! I used to be a runner...preinjury days and I really do miss it. I am a very fast speed walker though, and yet it's just not the same. Once in awhile I will get stupid while out on my walk and start jogging for a couple of minutes and it feels so damn good...but a short while later I am in so much pain that I cuss my stupidity.

Congrats on the award! Happy Sunday!

darsden said...

Totally awesome first race! Congratulations!

Beth said...

Hit 40 - YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT! Michel is a torturer! A funny one, though!

Ash said...

Oh Beth, thanks!! You've restored my faith in administrative judgement after learning that my Oldest's district has been closed for the week because of two cases of the swine flu - that district has over 15,000 students and 25 schools.

I know. I know. It's for the best. But my blogging time is going to take a serious hit :-)

Really, sincerely, thanks - it always amazes me when smart people keep coming back to my dumping ground. I appreciate it more than you could possibly know. Em

P.S. congratulations on the 5k - I'm impressed!

Unknown said...

Kudos to you on finishing that race AND the new addiction you've developed for having done so! I had to look twice at that figure 827 races, and at his age. I'm ashamed of myself but plead a really, really bad back!

Congratulations on the Sushi Grade award, couldn't have gone to anyone more deserving! I think Jan is fabulous and she developed an awesome award to share (although you know Michel is going to have a hard time doing that)!

Thank you so much Beth, for sharing this award with me! And I promise to share it!
Jane

sun lover said...

What a great idea from the PTO, I just might try to steal that idea for my kids school. Our PTO is trying to find some great new fund raising ideas and I like the 5K idea...plus it would force me to actually train for an event that requires me to do more than walk out to get the mail everyday.

Good job on completing the 5K, 1 down only 826 more to go! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Rosaria Williams said...

Easy there. You work, and work, through all kinds of weather, and then this PTO event, and who knows now you'll be asked by the district office to....

Remember that nobody thinks of how much you do for others. You are alone in this. Best take your days off seriously.

(From one who thrived in the same misery)

Michel said...

Okay, you guys would be in serious trouble if I were a torturer...although to be fair my hubby often describes trying to deal me as torture. I'm not really sure why. I am totally charming, gentle and sweet to everyone around me. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE!?!?!

However, con-f'n-grats on the 5K. Honestly, that is no easy feat!!! I have been wishing I could become as addicted to running as I am in my quest to acquire cake and assorted cake products.

Thank you for the award. That was very kind. You know damn well I'm not going to share it though, right? I LOVE SUSHI!

Kristina P. said...

I've done like a .05K before. I think that's down to my mailbox.

Congrats! What a great achievement.

Pseudo said...

Congrats on the race Beth ; -) I speed walk, but have not pumped it up to running. Don't know if I ever will.

And dude, you beat me to the punch, three of the blogs you passed sushi to were on my list...back to the drawing board.

Anonymous said...

way to go! I understand your high...I want to try more tennis tourneys because I want to try and do better each time...and not to mention singles is a much better workout which means the ice cream stop afterwards is totally justified!

♥ Braja said...

Boxed wine??? See? I knew I liked her....:)
xx

Optimistic Pessimist said...

Congrats on your first race!!! My first race was a 5 miler and a guy about 20 years older than me passed me going up a hill...oh, and he was pushing a kid in a stroller too!

mo.stoneskin said...

I have a lot of respect for anyone that runs! I'd like you to beat that 74-yr-old. I'd also like that 74-yr-old to run 1000 races before he stops!

Candice said...

Kudos on the 5K!!!!

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Congratulations! After breaking my knee this year, and dislocating it more times than I can count, I will never be able to run on pavement again. But I used to be addicted and its so amazing to feel the success of finishing a race. I think a walking 5K will be in my near future. You are an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award and on finishing the 5K.

Mike said...

That guy who wrote the book on running, I think his name Jim Fixx, he died while running! Maybe blogging is healthier. LMAO

Everyday Goddess said...

Congratulations on the award!

I hear running a 5k is fun, but I get tired driving that far.

Fragrant Liar said...

Congrats on the 5k. I wish I liked to run, but it hurts me to think about it. So, I don't.

Everyday Goddess said...

Notorious Nahunta, it doesn't say anything about being a ticketing outpost when you google it though.

Maybe I saw you at Jekyll? This was probably in '96, around Easter I beleive. That would be funny.

HeatherPride said...

So proud of your 5k!! That's awesome!

essbesee said...

you are awesome. congrats on your first big race! that is really impressive. I've just started back and quit again jogging - knee issues as well, may have to check out that first commenters website suggestion.

And- big congrats on your sushi grade blog award. I love the description of what that is and have to agree you are definitely sushi grade, indeed.

Kulio said...

Oooh! An award! How very coolio :-) THANKS! And I just have to say that anyone who runs is a-m-a-z-i-n-g, ESPECIALLY with the bum knee - you rock!!

anymommy said...

Congrats! Races really are fun and the best part is you are only competing against yourself. We walked a seven mile 'race' today with our huge stroller. Took us forever, but I felt great about it.

Laura said...

Congratulations and good for you! I hope to never be addicted to running or enjoying sweat going down my back!

ShallowGal said...

I ran a 5K once. I came in second to last. After an 82 year old man.

midlife slices said...

The hubs and I started a little evening routine that included a run, but it only lasted 4 days and then i went back to OK for a week. It's hell not being able to get on a schedule but I use to run and loved it so what's holding me back now?? I'd say probably I'm lazy now but I swear, that's all got to change and you've inspired me.......again. :)

Together We Save said...

Congrats on the 5K that is amazing. Well maybe not for you but it would be for me.

Deb said...

So, I would have been dead if I had attempted a 5 K. Ok, let's be serious, even a .5K

Congrats!!! Congrats to your sushi grade winners too!

Dee-Zigns Handcrafted Jewelry said...

That's so great Beth, you rock! Runners are truly inspiring :).

Snowbrush said...

Congratulations on your first 5K. I couldn't make out the photo of the person stretching. He/she looks gray, so I thought it might be the old man. He's an exception. Most people's knees are long gone by that age no matter how motivated they are.

Jaime said...

congrats on the 5k! i'm trying to gear up to run one. with my dad. who runs marathons. he's going to run circles around me!

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Congrats on your award! I love Jan too.
I also love to run but my 92 year old knees just say no every time I try. I too am yoga challenged and so far can't convince Braja to come to Florida to correct my yoga posture and tell me about my chakra. ????? Namaste! I love the idea of running tho. does that count? I think it totally does. Until I get the knee replacement, you'll find me at the gym in mat pilates or trudging along on the elliptical. ugh