As I’ve been training for an upcoming half marathon, I’ve actually started to enjoy my long run days. I like the feeling of running at a
slow comfortable pace without worrying about time. Plus, I get to see my town in a different way than I do when cruising by in a car.
Along the way, I’ve learned some important lessons:
- It doesn’t matter that I look like a complete moron, it is important to pull my short hair back out of my eyes.
- Getting away from everything has a cathartic feel. This is my only real alone time.
- I now have proof that I’m not a witch - and apparently, I’m not all that sweet – as nothing happens to me when it rains.
- The *seedier* parts of town have really entertaining things on the ground. How does a magenta, flowery bra end up in the road?
And used condoms?
- Splashing water from a water bottle scares away most dogs.
- There are a lot of idiot drivers
who apparently got their license from a cereal boxout on the road.
- Despite what most people told me, I do NOT crave salad and other healthy foods while running. I do; however, think a lot about Doritos, hamburgers, and bread pudding.
- The shuffle feature on my iPod is awesome and makes it feel completely natural to follow a Smithereens’ song with one by Otis Redding.
- Stick with a bland breakfast. No more jalapenos with my eggs on the morning of my long run. This is an important one.
And I probably need to send an apology to the dude who has the nice yard where I herked a little.
So, there. I really am getting ready for that Princess Marathon at Disney in March. Now I need some ideas for how to decorate my shirt for the big event. Any suggestions?