Tuesday, March 23, 2010

If I were king of the world, I’d make Tuesday happen a couple of times a week

randomtuesday It is Tuesday, right? The day in the blog world known for randomness, eh?
All is well in our world. Thanks for all the comments and emails. We are slowly getting back to normal. Well, normal as defined by us.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I got a speeding ticket from the nicest cop this morning. At 4:45 a.m. I was on my way back from the gym when he clocked me going 68 in a 45 mph zone (it was a 4 lane highway with absolutely no traffic… relax). I’m sure I was looking lovely with my sweaty self. I begged asked for a warning but he pointed out his supervisor in the other cop car. At least he knocked the speed down a bit so I wouldn’t get hit with the hefty fines associated with the super speeder law in Georgia. On average, I get one speeding ticket a decade. Typically, I drive like an old lady. And by old lady, obviously, I mean my grandmother. She is one of the original speed racers.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Speaking of driving, why is it so difficult for some folks to figure out how to use turn signals. And there needs to be a course on the purpose and use of the turn lane. Personally, if I were a cop, I’d focus on those folks for my ticketing fix.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Life at school has been hell hectic. The superintendent announced that jobs would be lost then decided to keep it a secret wait until after the state test to tell the pink-slipped folks and their principal. Enough already. Just let us know. The not knowing is causing typically kind people to start tattling and making stabbing behind back motions all kinds of anxiety. It hasn’t been pretty.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
IMG_9658
I’ve been thinking about ordering a few of these awesome bottle openers. If they were painted gold, they could make some awesome awards for some real winners out there.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Spring in Georgia is awesome. While it is still cold in the mornings and evenings, I have decided that I am done with winter clothes. I’ve pulled out the spring skirts and dresses. Let’s just say that I am embracing my whiteness.

31 comments:

rxBambi said...

Yay! First baby!

rxBambi said...

It never occurred to met to ask for a warning. Does it ever work?

essbesee said...

the horses' ass bottle opener rocks. as does living in ga, I miss it often.

LucyCooper said...

Speeding is the least of driving evils! unless you happen to be speeding in my neighborhood,in which case drivers are treated to a stink eye and perhaps a middle finger.

I wish the cops would focus on the tailgaters and non-signallers.

Laura Marchant said...

My husband got a ticket for the first time in like 12 years on Friday. His was for not stopping at a stop sign. The guy said he would have given him a warning but someone had been complaining. I think they just say that, lol

*krystyn* said...

The cops should definitely focus on the non-turn-signal-users...they drive me nuts too!!!

"embracing the whiteness"...ha, I love it!! :)

Anonymous said...

A policeman pulled up behind me today with his lights on....after I let out a big line of swear words, I moved to pull over and he sped past me.

I'm making a big contribution to the policemen's fund this year.

Megan said...

teehee...it took me awhile to figure out WHAT the bottle opened was!

Artsnark said...

classic bottle opener.Good luck with work

Brian Miller said...

i wish i could limit the tix to one a decade...sucks about school cutbacks...they ar laying off several hundred around here...love the bottle opener...

Herding Cats said...

Ever since I became a teacher, I've stopped calling Spring, "Spring." Instead, it's more appropriately known to me as "Pink Slip Season." Ughhhhh hate it!

Sara Plays House said...

This is just to say--
YOU'RE IN GEORGIA????????
Me toooooooooooooooooo!
Carry on.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, I want to embrace my whiteness; I'm jealous. But glad someone's getting to enjoy some spring!!
Now drive safe young lady.

sun lover said...

We're waiting to hear who is going to be named principal next year. With all the budget cuts, many teachers and administrators are taking a early retirement buy outs. Cutbacks suck!

Candice said...

I would say that you should have pulled your boobs out in order to get out of that ticket. Then again, that's difficult to do when they're all tied down in a sports bra. ;)

mo.stoneskin said...

Are you sure he didn't pull you over simply for being up too early? 4.45 is definitely illegal.

Matty said...

Oh dang....gotta slow down; think marathon pace.

Mike said...

They really should not stop people in certain situations. It was not like you were being reckless.

That is a bottle opener??

cheatymoon said...

Very white here too... and not quite ready for spring clothes.

We are still getting deep cuts in our district, but I think I might be safe. (fingers crossed)

Good luck for the rest of this week, my friend!

Cristin said...

I don't dare stash the winter clothes yet... spring in New England can bring snow dammit.

CiCi said...

Last week hubby and I got pulled over by a police man and were ticketed for forgetting to get the license plates renewed. The car is in my name and I take full responsibility but hubby was driving. Smile. The police man was so nice though, he shook hubby's hand and told us how to get it cleared up quickly. We went to the county offices, walked right in and I paid to get the renewed registration (no fine) and walked across to the next building and showed the registration slip and had to come back when the actual ticket got there so the following week went back and it was dismissed. Easy peasy. I was so shocked there were no fines, no snotty clerks. My registration expired three months ago. Amazing.
I think every married couple should have one of those bottle openers to hold up once in awhile instead of saying a bad word!

Carma Sez said...

a 4 lane highway with no traffic - EXACTLY describes the spot I got pulled over a few months back - also going fairly quickly - fairly meaning very. sucks. but you appear to be taking it in stride..

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Hi Beth, Sorry things have been so tense at work. I hope things turn out to be at least manageable for you and your school after the cuts.

I have a theory about the non-use of turn signals, quite prevalent here in DE: I believe that when folks trade their cars in for new cars, they think that having the turn signal like new will increase the blue book value of the car. They tend to be kind of clueless here.

I boxed up all my winter clothing over the weekend too. It's time!!

Jan said...

I, too, have begun blinding people with the whiteness that is my skin. Fortunately, no one has come up to me and asked me what I'm doing running around in broad daylight, but since I don't sparkle, I guess I'm safe.

gayle said...

What a terrible way to start your day!! Good luck with things at work. Speaking from one who works in a school ...just be honest in all things and it will all turn out ok.

PJ said...

If the principal is about do the teachers have to toe the line or do the students get a warning? '~)

Nishant said...

We are still getting deep cuts in our district, but I think I might be safe. (fingers crossed)
data entry work from home

Mrs. M said...

I have been pulled over 3 times in about 20 years of driving (yikes). But no tickets...

Pseudo said...

I got the same ticket three years ago.

Hope you are looking forward to summer Beth ; -) Hope you get soem time to enjoy your spring in Georgia too.

Jaime said...

i've been pulled over exactly twice and neither time did i get off with a warning.

Fragrant Liar said...

I don't want to say that I haven't had a ticket in almost 20 years, because I don't want to jinx myself and ATTRACT that shit to me, but I'm just saying that might be the case. And it wasn't a warning.